Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Magic the Gathering's Great Designer Search (2)

So I guess wizards (of the coast) has started a repeat of their grand contest to find people to design more magic cards for them. This was a big deal previously, indeed it determined the future of 3 (out of 1,000 or so) nerds, who now have a job at Wizards of the Coast.

As a college student with a part time job, way too much homework, and extra curricular activities a plenty, I decided that it was important for me to choke my schedule further by joining in this affair. There will be essay questions, multiple-choice, and a segment that is my personal favorite, worldbuilding. That is to say, designing your own little universe to play in.

A lot of people are... quite frankly... bad at this. I figure it makes up for their skill at actually designing cards, or mechanics. Not everyone can have the whole package. The people with the whole package will probably be working at Wizards this time next year.

Me, I am going to give it my best shot, and then move on witth my life after the fact.

They have a wiki set up for this insidious excercise. It allows people to share ideas, read thoughts of others, and discuss what they are doing. It is brilliant for both the participants, and for Wizards, who has free access to all of these ideas even after the contest is over.

If you want to see my own failings, here is a link. I will probably be blogging some thoughts about magic over there for a little bit, just to get myself in the mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment